Skip to main content

Organizing Records for Popluar Given Names: 8 Isaac's and 5 George's

A Carter by any other name...
This morning I pulled a manila envelope from the cubby in my desk, remembering that I had copies of the will of George Carter which I had received more than a year ago. I pulled out several documents which I had sorted and stored in sheet protectors. There they were: George Carter (1820), George Godett (1803), and copies of photos of the Old Newbern Courthouse at the intersection of Broad and Middle Streets, following the fire of January 15, 1861. The enclosed letter from Victor T. Jones, Jr., Special Collections Librarian at the Kellenberger Room, New Bern-Craven County Public Library, stated that the original packet had also included the will of Isaac Perkins and a number of apprenticeship indentures, which were filed previously in their respective binders.

Will the correct George please stand out...
I was excited to see George Carter's will (1755-1820) as he is the next person I am working on for my BCG narrative genealogy. 1820. As I began to check the dates, something didn't look quite right. Then I went back to the database index and re-discovered that there were five George Carters, and this one was the oldest brother of the Isaac Carter (1760-1830) who starts off my narrative...both sons of Abel Carter (1732-1806). 

He was the uncle of the George (1787-1859) I was looking for. So, since he will not appear in the BCG narrative genealogy, I will transcribe his will here.

The Will of George Carter (1820)
MF # 1548459
Craven County Wills
Bryan, Edward to Godett, William
1748-1941


Will of
George Carter

Craven County

Recorded in book
of Wills letter C
folios 191 & 192
Attest J. [S. Stanly]

In the Name of God Amen I George Carter of Craven County State of North Carolina being Weak in Body but of Sound Mind and perfect Memory Calling to mind that all men are mortal and hath wont to Die make this my Last will and Testament as follows to wit  Item  I Give and bequeath unto my Son Theophilus Carter thirty Acres of land being the part wher he now lives to him and his heirs forEver  Item I leave my Desire is that all the Rest of my land and all the Rest of Property to be Equally Divided between my wife and all my Children  after my lawful Debts is paid and I Do hereby [blotted out] appoint and [Nom]inate My Wife Sarah Carter and my Son Theophilus Carter my Executix (sic) and Executer (sic) to this my last will and testament where[blotted out] unto I have here unto Set my hand and Affixed my Seal this 18 21 Day of March 1820.
Signed in the presence                            his
of us                                          George X Carter (Seal)
Andrew Stewart                                    mark
            his
Kendall  X  Stewart
              mark

Craven County Court June term AD 1820
     The foregoing last will of George Carter
was produced, and the execution by Said 
testator was proved in open Court, and in 
due form of laws by the oath of Kendall
Stewart, one of the prescribing Witnesses thereto
Ordered that Said Will be Recorded.
Attest     J. G. Stanly



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Estate of Isaac Dove (1826): Transcription of Summons, Image 5

Summons: ....14 November 1825 "North Carolina, Estate Files, 1663-1979," index and images,  FamilySearch   (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKJM-FYZ :  accessed 08 Aug 2013), Isaac Dove, 1826. Image 5/45 [As you can see here, the Summons referred to in the transcription of Image 3/45 was attached to the description and plat.] STATE OF NORTH-CAROLINA. To the Sheriff of Craven County, GREETING: YOU are hereby commanded to summon Hardy L. Jones, James T. Jones Esquire, Gideon Jones, Joseph Davis & Benjamin Borden ------------- to me at such place and at some time before the next Court, to be held for your County, on the second Monday of February next, as to [scratched out] you shall seem fit, then and there to make partition of that part of the lands (which were formerly held in common between Isaac Dove and Anthony Brown) which belongs to the heirs of Isaac Dove and are situated in Craven County on the east side of Spring Branch. ---------------- -------

Honoring our Ancestors: Free Black Patriots of the Revolutionary War

When I was first contacted last October to assist in some research for a member of the DAR who was looking for the burial ground of her ancestor, Isaac Carter, I had no idea it would lead to such a wonderful tribute--with full honors--to our free black ancestors of Craven County, North Carolina. Nor would I have guessed that I would be meeting together with Ms. Maria William Cole, National Vice Chairman Insignia, of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, and a host of other dignitaries, from the highest officials of the SAR to state and local political and community service leaders, to pay tribute to these patriots. The turnout exceeded my expectation when this event proceeded on a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon, with close to a hundred and fifty people or more, seated on folding chairs under three canopy tents. The microphone cable lay along the wet grass and soon died out, and we, the speakers, were asked to use our "mother's voices" to make o

Using Estate Files to Document Family Relationships on FamilySearch.org

FamilySearch The other day I had a Facebook exchange with a fellow genealogist regarding the valuable resource of FamilySearch.org. This researcher was looking for estate records for South Carolina, and since my husband's maternal line descends from Horry County, I continued to tell her about the records on FamilySearch.org, until I rediscovered why I had chosen to work on my husband's paternal line from North Carolina: not all states' records are represented equally on the site, by far!  Browsing records by location In case you've never searched using the "browse the records" method, here is the process: After signing in and clicking on the "Search" option, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the country file you would like to explore. For this purpose, I'll be clicking on "United States." On the left side of the screen you will find a listing of states to select from. I'll be clicking on "South Ca