Skip to main content

Sorting Saturday--emails, timber companies, deeds and the AMEZ

I don't know about you, but when I'm on the search for information, I set out a barrage of investigations from every source I can think possible. I start out with the facts at hand and then email as many of my research contacts to see if they have anything that might answer the question at hand.

While I'm waiting for responses, I plunge into my own investigation of online sources, as I did with this bit of collateral research on timber companies and the formation of Piney Grove AME Zion in North Harolwe, Craven, NC. Recently I noticed that my pile of emails, reprints of online books and articles was piling up. So, the sorting began.

Actually, I started out with one topic: lumber companies in North Harlowe, Craven, NC at the turn of the 20th century, and ended up having to group my materials into four catagories: Timber, Church, Family & Farming. As the emails were sorted by category and then again by date, new patterns began to emerge which led to more serious reading.

The History of Piney Grove African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church: 1864-1992, by Eilatan, notes that the arrival of Rev. James Walker Hood to New Bern in 1864 led up to the the organization of our ancestral church's establishment in 1865. The church's first structure was built on land purchased from Mr. John George. The original church building was destroyed by fire somewhere between 1911-1913, and on "February 14, 1914, the trustees of Piney Grove Church. . . purchased and secured from the Tolson Lumber Manufacturing Company, certain properties totaling $444.21."


That led me further into my timber companies research. I was already aware of the J.B. Blades, John L. Roper,  Neuse, and Munger & Bennett Lumber Companies, and now Tolson was added to the list of operations in North Harlowe. Even now, after the preliminary sorting of emails, I find that the one from Craven County Register of Deeds concerning Tolson Lumber was misfiled into the "Family" section, rather than the "Timber" or "Church" sections.

It seems that Tolson Lumber, according to Michelle L. Toth, Assistant Register of Deeds, Craven County, NC, "was in bankruptcy proceedings around this time because I can find other parcels ordered to sell. . . You may be able to find something filed with the court around this time if they were in bankruptcy. . . ." 


While I waited to hear from the Register of Deeds, I began reading about Rev. James Walker Hood. I started with UNC's University Library's Documenting the American South Collection; then, a short biography in the African American Registry, and The North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. After reading Sandy D. Martin's book, For God and Race, my questions about Rev. Hood as a missionary and pastor in New Bern and Craven County only increased. I noted that Professor Martin had used sources found at Livingstone College and decided to contact them.

An email, which took ten days to receive a response, encouraged me to contact Rev. Armstrong of the Historical Society Office. Unfortunately, they do not hold the old records. . . they are kept at Livingstone College. Rev. Armstrong encouraged me to contact President Jimmy R. Jenkins, Sr.; but, when I called, he was in  a meeting, and his secretary told me that Heritage Hall, the archive which housed the documents I desired, was closed for repairs and that the volunteer archivist had left for other employment. She recommended I contact Dr. Gwendolyn Peart, the Library Director, to see if they had any non-archived materials. I am still waiting to receive a response to that email.

In the mean time I caught an early Summer cold, which has zapped the energy right out of me and left me with no desire to read at any length. I find, as I sit down at my computer, that there is still a pile of papers on top of the printer, and another on top of my file box. . . .a deed, some Ancestry.com and Facebook message print outs, more emails. . . .

It seems the filed piles are merely replaced by new ones which seem to spring up spontaneously. Perhaps after this head cold clears I will continue to wade through the remaining piles, and create some new ones. New piles = new info. That can only be a good thing . . . unless I can't find what I need when I want it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Estate of Isaac Dove (1826): Transcription of Summons, Image 5

Summons: ....14 November 1825 "North Carolina, Estate Files, 1663-1979," index and images,  FamilySearch   (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKJM-FYZ :  accessed 08 Aug 2013), Isaac Dove, 1826. Image 5/45 [As you can see here, the Summons referred to in the transcription of Image 3/45 was attached to the description and plat.] STATE OF NORTH-CAROLINA. To the Sheriff of Craven County, GREETING: YOU are hereby commanded to summon Hardy L. Jones, James T. Jones Esquire, Gideon Jones, Joseph Davis & Benjamin Borden ------------- to me at such place and at some time before the next Court, to be held for your County, on the second Monday of February next, as to [scratched out] you shall seem fit, then and there to make partition of that part of the lands (which were formerly held in common between Isaac Dove and Anthony Brown) which belongs to the heirs of Isaac Dove and are situated in Craven County on the east side of Spring Branch. ---------------- -------

Honoring our Ancestors: Free Black Patriots of the Revolutionary War

When I was first contacted last October to assist in some research for a member of the DAR who was looking for the burial ground of her ancestor, Isaac Carter, I had no idea it would lead to such a wonderful tribute--with full honors--to our free black ancestors of Craven County, North Carolina. Nor would I have guessed that I would be meeting together with Ms. Maria William Cole, National Vice Chairman Insignia, of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, and a host of other dignitaries, from the highest officials of the SAR to state and local political and community service leaders, to pay tribute to these patriots. The turnout exceeded my expectation when this event proceeded on a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon, with close to a hundred and fifty people or more, seated on folding chairs under three canopy tents. The microphone cable lay along the wet grass and soon died out, and we, the speakers, were asked to use our "mother's voices" to make o

Using Estate Files to Document Family Relationships on FamilySearch.org

FamilySearch The other day I had a Facebook exchange with a fellow genealogist regarding the valuable resource of FamilySearch.org. This researcher was looking for estate records for South Carolina, and since my husband's maternal line descends from Horry County, I continued to tell her about the records on FamilySearch.org, until I rediscovered why I had chosen to work on my husband's paternal line from North Carolina: not all states' records are represented equally on the site, by far!  Browsing records by location In case you've never searched using the "browse the records" method, here is the process: After signing in and clicking on the "Search" option, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the country file you would like to explore. For this purpose, I'll be clicking on "United States." On the left side of the screen you will find a listing of states to select from. I'll be clicking on "South Ca